Life on the Vine

Learning from Jesus to live my life as he would live my life if he were I - Dallas Willard

Friday, March 30, 2007

life is expensive

I've come to fully realize that life is extremely expensive. Along with the joys of committing to life together with an amazing person comes the full realization of all of the major purchases and decisions for the next year. Things like mortgage rates, reception halls and leases all of a sudden need to work together in a real budget for two real people.

I'm thankful for fellow sojourners in this like Lisa who desire to have similar lifestyle choices of living within one's means. Derek and I made an agreement four days after getting engaged that we could drastically eliminate our eating-out habits. So far, I think we're doing well. One of my favorite evenings with him was a $.53 coffee outing and hours of good conversation. I'm also thankful for the onset of sunny and warm weather, where I'm perfectly content to just walk in the park.

Much to my dismay, Beaner's raised their refill price from $1 to $1.25! Thankfully, they offer a 10% discount for students, and my MTS student card works. So for me, it's $1.12. Sill, a .12 increase over a year amounts to $17.28 a year if I get coffee three times a week!

Currently Reading: A Simply Beautiful Wedding - planning a celebration that is attractively economical, relationally healthy, spiritually enriching, less stressful & more enjoyable

4 Comments:

Blogger Haller4307 said...

what i'm finding to be most difficult about setting an estimated budget is that

a) it's tight and
b) you kind of have to go with the maximum for each category just in case, but then that leaves us with a deficit. it's hard to know if this is a realistic picture or a pessimistic one.

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just heard that you are engaged! CONGRATULATIONS! That's so exciting. -Jessica Fick

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home